1 cup fresh strawberries, cut into chunks
1 ea. Egg
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup fat free milk
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tbsp. flaxseed, ground
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tbsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Rinse the berries gently. Cut into small pieces, pat dry with paper towels.
3. Beat egg with sugar at medium speed until thick and smooth. Beat in milk and applesauce.
4. Combine flour, oats, flax seed, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt in measuring cup, stir well. Add to egg mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in strawberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired.
5. Bake 15 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.